The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) renovated the Burnett “Blondie” Pharr Tennis Center, which is right up the road from the Moontower Loft.
The tennis courts had reached the end of their service life and needed to be modernized.
The pro shop building was brought to current codes with compliant restrooms.
This project is complete and open to the public. The complex is managed by RippnerTennis.
Get more details on classes at the Pharr Tennis Center.
About the Pharr Tennis Center
Pharr Tennis Center is one of four municipal tennis centers, offering year-round tennis play and supervised tennis activities to the community through comprehensive programs for all ages.
Pharr Tennis Center is located next to Patterson Neighborhood Park and adjacent to the Mueller Development on Airport Boulevard.
The Center was named for Burnett “Blondie” Pharr. Blondie Pharr (1898-1976) was the band director at The University of Texas and is credited with writing the University’s fight song.
During his lifetime, Mr. Pharr also managed the Caswell Tennis Center and was an influential music educator in Central Texas.
The Pharr Tennis Center was named in his honor on December 11, 1975, for his seminal and remarkable contributions to the development of tennis in Austin.
Pharr Tennis Center was constructed in the late 1970s during a period when the Austin Tennis League experienced exceptional growth in Austin.